Sunday, August 15, 2010

Further Meanderings



After discovering Azteca Farms at the Montrose Farmers Market a few years ago, I have been the most loyal of customers. Especially during the summer, when Irma and her husband, Vincente, bring out the crispiest, juiciest, sweetest watermelons ever! Irma picks out a particularly luscious specimen, in anticipation of my arrival, which makes me very happy. One day, Vincente was helping me to carry the three huge melons I'd bought for myself and also to share with others and we chatted a bit about his story. Vincente arrived several years ago and worked as a migrant worker on various farms. During that time, everywhere he worked, he asked the growers many, many questions about what they did to encourage the best growth from the land. After twenty years, Vincente was able to begin farming on his own and he has done a wonderful job of growing the most beautiful and delicious produce. Particularly, as I mentioned, those irresistible watermelons. It's heartening to know that the traditional American success story still happens!

Sometimes, such as today, I buy my melon(s) and leave them there to continue shopping as well as visiting other friends' booths. One of these friends is Vince Takas, a prolific watercolor artist. He has been painting at this market for several years now and a steady stream of friends and clients make their way to his booth for a chat or to pick out some cards or paintings. From all the greetings, he seems to know practically everyone! He has a way of looking at things through a very honest and wry lens... there is something refreshing about sharing a chat with him.

I stopped to take in the little petting zoo. The two eleven week old piglets caught my eye. They are so cute and just like the stereotype, all they're interested in is food! Maybe they sense they have to eat continuously to get to the size they're going to reach. If they knew what was ahead, maybe they'd slow down on the consumption!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also came to the market one day and never left. Made many friends and buy most of my fresh fruits and veggies at the open market.
Gilberto